When your child is diagnosed with hearing loss, it can be a stressful time when you are inundated with new information. As parents, relatives and professionals who work with deaf/hard of hearing children, our Board is uniquely aware of the challenges families face when a child has been identified with hearing loss. For over 60 years, FHSR has been dedicated to providing support to both the child and the family through our wrap around services.
One key test that happens the day after your baby is born in Illinois is the Newborn Hearing Screening. A nurse will come and take the baby for a painless hearing test to determine if the child has any hearing loss. This test is the first step on a child’s hearing journey. Some babies don’t pass this exam. This means they need to be tested again to determine if the hearing loss is something that will resolve itself on its own or if intervention is necessary. In fact, close to 90% of all babies who fail their Newborn Hearing Screening will in fact pass when they are re-tested. However, for the other 10% not passing could mean your baby has some level of hearing loss.
The second follow up screening is crucial to determine if your baby has hearing loss
PARENT SERVICES & ORGANIZATIONS
Finding the right organizations with which to partner is crucial in any support service setting, and even more so in the pediatric world. FHSR has always placed the highest priority on its strategic partnerships, from Michael Reese Hospital to Northwestern University to the Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago to the Chicago Hearing Society. For almost sixty years, the Foundation has sought out leading organizations on the forefront of addressing issues surrounding hearing loss. We continue to vet potential partners to help us support our mission and vision creating life changing social service programs and community outreach.
MUSIC TO MY EARS (MTME) SCHOLARSHIP
FHSR honored the Foundation’s 60th anniversary with the creation of the Music To My Ears Scholarship Program (MTME). This program provides a year of tuition-free music classes for deaf and hard of hearing children in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs. FHSR is proud to partner with a number of schools to provide music enrichment classes for children up to four years of age and instrument lessons for children up to 10 years of age. The MTME program represents FHSR’s unwavering commitment to be the leader in programs that enable children living with hearing loss to be on par with their hearing peers. READ MORE